Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Luck: Cause or Excuse?

I've been thinking about two couples I have come to know over the years. The couples differ in age, location, and backgrounds but share a history of always having money problems. They can't find secure housing and are always moving because of rent or mortgage problems. They never have a an operating motor vehicle for very long because it breaks down, or they can't afford the payments, repairs or the insurance. They are always scrambling for money for unexpected expenses and have borrowed from just about anyone who will loan them money. They have bad credit.

But I have noticed that they also share another significant characteristic---they are always talking about their luck which is, of course, bad luck in their minds. Their lot in life is caused by bad luck.

I have tried to figure out what role luck has had in my life and the lives of other people I know who have successful lives, whether modest or substantial. About the only example I can come up with is the coffee machine I won by placing an on-line order for coffee. I guess I have to credit my successes to hard work, persistence, education, determination and all those other attributes that earn you a pat on the head from teachers and parents.

Thank goodness I didn't wait for luck. One coffee machine wouldn't pay for a home, a car, insurance and peace of mind.

So back to the aforementioned couples. Has luck caused their problems? Or is that just an excuse?

No comments: