Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hummingbird Beacon

Last night while a neighbor was sitting on the back porch with me, a hummingbird zoomed in unexpectedly. That means I don't have a feeder out yet. But because there was a bauble hanging with a red stone, we assumed that had attracted the bird. A few minutes later, a second zooming occurred and then I realized the bright orange tee I was wearing might be the attraction. Judi remarked that she hoped a hummingbird wouldn't land on my shelf looking for nectar. When a rainbow formed and I leaned over the railing to see it, a third hummingbird flew in within a foot and hovered at menacingly close range to my orange top.

The moral of the story? If you're not prepared to host hummingbirds up close and personal, don't wear certain bright colors.

No comments: