Friday, November 04, 2005

How Old Am I?



My eighty-nine-year-old mother (shown above) is in a nearby nursing home. She often has panic attacks and when that happens, she has the home call me. I received such a call late this afternoon. When I got to the nursing home, she was still waiting for me by the nurse's station. I wheeled her back to her room. As soon as we got there, she asked, "How old am I?" and I knew immediately what had caused her panic; she couldn't remember her age.

I have been trying to figure out how I would feel if I couldn't remember how old I was. Knowing our age seems to be very important to humans. One of the first things a child learns about himself is his age. Knowing our age is a vital part of our being. How scary not to know that any more. I'll probably panic too.

No comments: