Sunday, October 30, 2005

My Alibi




When reading other blogs, I've noticed that some writers often offer reasons for not posting everyday and oddly enough, I've enjoyed reading their excuses. You have probably noticed that my entries will be regular for a while and then, suddenly, there's a lapse in posting. No, I didn't fall into a black hole and I will use this past week as an example to explain what can happen that can result in my failure to post...........

Sometimes I get behind doing the laundry and have to measure the task awaiting in cubic yards. So Monday and Tuesday I worked on housekeeping, including the laundry. Wednesday we had a morning appointment with our attorney. I parked in front of his office. Lee had trouble getting out of the car, so I had to help him. Once he was out, he leaned back in to get his cane, lost his balance, fell back into the car, and lay wedged between the passenger seat and whatever.........

Our lawyer and a friend of his saw this happening. They called the ambulance and joined us out by the car. Pedestrians and vehicles stopped, offering assistance. Then the ambulance arrived, followed by a police car and a fire truck! My husband at first refused to go to the hospital but after hearing his blood sugar was down and his blood pressure was up, he agreed to be checked out. The rest of the day was spent in the emergency room. Our legal eagle said he would come to the house the next time we had to meet.........

I am very strong during each of these mini-calamities. Then when the crisis has passed, I collapse. So I spent Thursday recovering from my husband's latest fall.......

On Friday I drove to a nearby village to attend a truck sale. No, I didn't buy a truck. Periodically, we get a flyer advertising that a truck will be nearby and items will be sold from it. The lastest advertising included a red wagon with wooden sides at a good price. Why would an old lady buy a red wagon? Like some other old ladies, walking and carrying heavy items like groceries can be difficult for me. I will load the groceries from the car into my red wagon and pull it up the ramp to the house. My wagon is a beauty, with 10" pneumatic tires that are very impressive. I expect there will be some jealousy on the part of some neighboring kids and old ladies.....

Friday night (Saturday morning) I got a call at 3:30 a. m. The nursing home was transferring my mother to the hospital. So up and off to the emergency room again. I spent the rest of the night and the next morning with my mother while the hospital did tests and admitted her for treatment for pneumonia and extreme anemia. Fortunately, she was still behaving fairly well. Recently a doctor asked her how she was feeling and she answered, "None of your damn business." Yesterday afternoon I slept, then back to the hospital for much of today........

So that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

3 comments:

Peter Porcupine said...

Me, I don't post because I'm thinking great thoughts! :)

Emerald said...

Hi from a former Hornellian! Nice to see someone from home out there in blogland.

Anonymous said...

My friend Biscuit Queen had some doozy excuses for taking a break in July... You might enjoy her blog. She may live near you (is also in NY)... She posts recipes, raises fancy chickens and dogs, and posts to BBs.