Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why I "Fight City Hall"


I fight city hall because I live in a democracy. As a citizen of our democracy, I feel I have the responsibility to report and try to eliminate injustice, inefficiency, illegalities, etc. to prevent our democracy from being destroyed. I don't have the luxury of picking my fights. I have to fight each fight that comes before me, no matter how large or small. If I don't, I am silently giving approval to that violation of democracy. Our government, in any form, is a fair target for my actions when it does not act honestly and appropriately. That is true even if it's only a substitute mail carrier who always appears to take shortcuts that violate his own rules and regulations when delivering the mail. If that sounds trivial, remember that the erosion of a mountain starts with only one grain of soil at a time.


I know, I know. In our country, it is embarrassing to talk about being a good citizen once you pass the age of thirteen. However, I think we all need to be reminded that being a good citizen means more that voting and paying taxes. It's not the big things that threaten our democracy. It is the ignoring of all the little things that add up to the colossal catastrophe that takes down a democratic government. Complaining and paying lip service to good citizenship is not enough. I must fight city hall.

No comments: