Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Menial" Jobs

I took this picture when we were in Paris a few years ago. I was fascinated by the workers in the distinctive green uniforms and learned that these workers were assigned a street area and they spent the day sweeping the walks in in their area. I thought it was a great idea that should be exported to our country where it would help on two fronts: 1) it would provide jobs for the unskilled workers who complained about not being able to find work and 2) it would help clean up our dirty cities.

When I came upon the photo again tonight, I remembered my earlier musings and then I immediately thought "No. Americans would not take such menial jobs." And for some reason, illegal aliens came to mind. Their defenders tell us that they are performing the jobs that Americans will not do.

Uhm..............I may have to rethink my position on illegal aliens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd do it if it paid well. I usually end up doing more menial type work than the things I am skilled in because it pays better.